Kawasaki-Z-Classik.com

KAWASAKI Z1/Z2 FORUM
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

Great to see you found us RobK, I generally believe that a gentle clean on anything that is being offered for sale is necessary to give buyers a look at the real condition, but as Jeff mentioned do not try to polish...make things shiny, except for polish on the tank to bring out the real state of the paint.
Rob.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:38 pm 

Rob wrote:
Great to see you found us RobK, I generally believe that a gentle clean on anything that is being offered for sale is necessary to give buyers a look at the real condition, but as Jeff mentioned do not try to polish...make things shiny, except for polish on the tank to bring out the real state of the paint.
Rob.

Good advice. I figured that original finish is always gonna be more desirable for a resto', even if that finish is dull.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:43 pm 

Welcome Rob, thats a great collection you found. The 73 especially. I would definitely keep that one and go through the process of restoring it, finding as many original parts as you can if you can afford to and have the time and patience. The members on here may have bits and pieces that they'll part with to help you along if they aren't restoring one for themselves. Over the years I have acquired a lot of pieces by buying mixed parts lots on paybay. There is a seller on there named money99kz his name is Brian and he must have many torn down bikes that he has parted out and a lot they he may not have ever listed on paybay. Jeff also carries a lot of genuine Kawasaki parts and I don't believe you'll find anyone more knowledgeable of these bikes than him.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:31 am 
Advanced Member

RobK wrote:
Mcdroid wrote:
RobK...Mcdroid from KZR...glad you found us!

Thanks for the suggestion - looks like it is the right place to be for this project. I'm keeping the '75 so will likely stick around here for a spell ;)

Unfortunately that machine was used for drag racing (one of the passenger peg triangles has been hacked off to make way for a "club-foot" swing-arm, and there's been some bracing and other assorted mods). Still have matching cases on that one too, but little else original. My plan for that one is to do a "minimally invasive" custom, which is to say, upgrade the front end, (I have a ZX7 unit that bolts right up), upgrade the carbs perhaps, but leave the frame as intact as it is, and generally move forward only with bolt-on mods, so if a future owner got the restoration bug, it could be brought back to original.

The right side "triangle" was hacked off because the Kerker race 4 into one pipe needed that space to fit properly. There is a standard Kerker 4 into one which has right side collector. {fits without modification} ...and a "race" Kerker 4 in to one that has the collector directly centered under the motor {requires right side triangle removal}.

Back in the day we were kinda dumb and hacked off both triangles. :angry-banghead:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:04 am 

75Z1Rick wrote:
Welcome Rob, thats a great collection you found. The 73 especially. I would definitely keep that one and go through the process of restoring it, finding as many original parts as you can if you can afford to and have the time and patience. The members on here may have bits and pieces that they'll part with to help you along if they aren't restoring one for themselves. Over the years I have acquired a lot of pieces by buying mixed parts lots on paybay. There is a seller on there named money99kz his name is Brian and he must have many torn down bikes that he has parted out and a lot they he may not have ever listed on paybay. Jeff also carries a lot of genuine Kawasaki parts and I don't believe you'll find anyone more knowledgeable of these bikes than him.

Thanks Rick.

It is in fact very tempting to do just that - restore the ol' girl, but realistically, I have a 70 Triumph to finish, then a '79 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special to restore, and the KZ900 "super-Z" behind that, and the '75 "club foot" beyond that...and given the time and attention a proper resto deserves, I just don't have the bandwidth!

It seems better to sell it on to someone who is going to do something with it in a more timely manner!

Having said this, I'm gonna stick around a bit as I have the 75 which will be mainly stock save the front end, rear wheel and quite possible the carbs. Won't be going strictly OEM (too late for that), but will be working hard to preserve the "Z" spirit nonetheless.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:11 am 

ZRESTO wrote:
RobK wrote:
Mcdroid wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion - looks like it is the right place to be for this project. I'm keeping the '75 so will likely stick around here for a spell ;)

Unfortunately that machine was used for drag racing (one of the passenger peg triangles has been hacked off to make way for a "club-foot" swing-arm, and there's been some bracing and other assorted mods). Still have matching cases on that one too, but little else original. My plan for that one is to do a "minimally invasive" custom, which is to say, upgrade the front end, (I have a ZX7 unit that bolts right up), upgrade the carbs perhaps, but leave the frame as intact as it is, and generally move forward only with bolt-on mods, so if a future owner got the restoration bug, it could be brought back to original.

The right side "triangle" was hacked off because the Kerker race 4 into one pipe needed that space to fit properly. There is a standard Kerker 4 into one which has right side collector. {fits without modification} ...and a "race" Kerker 4 in to one that has the collector directly centered under the motor {requires right side triangle removal}.

Back in the day we were kinda dumb and hacked off both triangles. :angry-banghead:

In fact on this one it's the "club foot" swingarm that looks like the part that inspired the hacksaw to get pulled from the wall. (extra points for spotting what else is wrong in the pic).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:40 am 
Advanced Member

RobK wrote:
Mcdroid wrote:

Might have been a good idea to post that pic to start with. I was looking at the first pic you posted. I never in my life saw a frame with a hole drilled to mount a swingarm. That's about as ghetto as they can get.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:55 am 

ZRESTO wrote:
RobK wrote:
Mcdroid wrote:

Might have been a good idea to post that pic to start with. I was looking at the first pic you posted. I never in my life saw a frame with a hole drilled to mount a swingarm. That's about as ghetto as they can get.

Ha ha - the PO was into drag racing. From what I understand, back in the 80s (when I'm guessing he was running these things), Z1s had yet to be recognized as the classics they are now.

In fact I have a friend who worked at a Kawasaki dealer back in the late 80s- early 90s and was instructed to "clear out all the old Z1 crap" and filled a dumpster with 4 into 4s :-o

Guess they took up a lot of room.

So I reckon whomever decided that my current 75 was gonna be the next force to be reckoned with at Bandamere (the local 1/4 mile), had little hesitation in slicing the bracket for the passenger peg and stock exhaust.

Are there any current bikes that this is happening to? Will early GSX-Rs someday be coveted?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:47 am 
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are there any current bikes that this is happening to? Will early GSX-Rs someday be coveted?

They already are Rob, they already are. !986 GSXR1100 bring fairly good return as do the very early GSXR750.